After you have extracted your wisdom teeth, it’s very important that you heal properly. If you don’t, major dental problems could occur and your smile would be in grave danger. So, to help you heal properly and take advantage of the recovery process, we recommend doing the following things:
· Reduce the bleeding as much as possible. You can do so by placing a clean gauze pad over the affected area and gently biting down on it for a period of 45 minutes. This pressure should reduce the bleeding. Repeat this process as necessary.
· Minimize swelling by icing outside the surgical area. You can ice it with an ice pack or another cold compress. Ice the area 10 minutes on and 20 minutes off for the first 24 hours. This should help with the swelling and with any discomfort you feel.
· Take the prescribed medications your doctor gave to you to relieve the pain. If you do not have prescribed medication, you can use over-the-counter pain medications to help.
· Keep your diet strictly to liquids for the first 24 hours. This will help you keep the surgical area clean and safe. On the second day, keep to soft foods. It’s best to maintain a soft-foods diet for about three days after your surgery.
· Continue to brush your teeth regularly, but please do not brush the neighboring teeth by the affected area for the first 24 hours. Once the time has passed, feel free to brush those teeth but please do so carefully.
For more information about recovery, please call Village Pointe Oral Surgery at 402-317-5657 and talk to a member of our caring dental team. Dr. Michael Shnayder also encourages you to schedule an appointment as soon as possible if you face any problems during the recovery period. We’re here to help you in any way we can, so don’t be afraid to give us a call!