There are a number of reasons why you and Dr. Michael Shnayder may determine that you need a tooth extraction. Tooth extraction can lead to issues with chewing ability, problems with the jaw joint, and shifting teeth. To avoid these problems, our oral surgeon will discuss any alternatives to extraction and tooth replacement options.
The Extraction Process
Your tooth, jawbone, and gums will be numbed with a local anesthetic before extraction. You will feel a lot of pressure during extraction. Let us know right away if you feel any pain.
After Tooth Extraction
Follow the instructions below to make your recovery as fast and comfortable as possible:
- Bite on a gauze pad for 30-45 minutes immediately after extraction, or until bleeding persists
- Do not rinse or spit vigorously, or drink from a straw, for 72 hours
- Do not drink alcohol for 72 hours
- Continue brushing and flossing, but do not brush the extraction area for 72 hours
- Limit your activity for at least 24 hours
- Use ice to control any pain and swelling
- Take pain medications as prescribed by our oral surgeon
- Drink lots of fluids and eat soft foods on the day of extraction
We encourage you to contact Village Pointe Oral Surgery today to schedule an appointment and to learn more about tooth extraction in Omaha, Nebraska.