For some oral health treatments, a strong jawbone is required. However, due to a variety of ailments, your jaw may have weakened over time. Fortunately, treatments such as bone grafting can be used to remove bone from one area of the body and reinsert it into the jaw for additional strength.
Here are a few tips about bone grafting and the benefits it can provide:
– It typically takes several months for the graft to strengthen with the bone unless a very small graft is needed.
– Bone grafting can also be used in a few periodontal dentistry treatments.
– Bone grafting treatments will remove a bone from one section of your body or use a special bone grafting material to graft onto your jawbone.
– Bone grafting is most commonly used with dental implant procedures for the reason that if your jawbone is too weak or frail, your implant can fail.
– The AAOMS (American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons) says that surgeons will often implement a bone graft if your jaw bone is soft, frail or thin, in order to straighten it to hold an implant.
If you are in need of bone grafting, contact Village Pointe Oral Surgery at 402-317-5657 to see which treatment is right for you. To schedule an oral examination with Dr. Michael Shnayder and our team at our dentist office in Omaha, Nebraska, please contact us at your earliest convenience. Weak jaws can be overcome, so feel free to come see us today.