If you have a loose tooth, or thinking about wearing braces, a tooth extraction may be needed. A tooth extraction is what happens when your oral surgeon extracts a tooth from its socket in the bone. Typically, a tooth is extracted as a last resort, after other options, such as a filling or crown might repair the damaged tooth. Other reasons a tooth might require an extraction include:
– You have extra teeth which are blocking other teeth from growing in properly.
– A baby tooth not falling out when it is supposed to so that the permanent tooth is able to come in.
– If you are preparing to get braces, and need room for the new position of the teeth.
– If you are undergoing radiation to the head and neck area.
– If teeth have become infected from using cancer medication, and your immune system is compromised.
– If you have had an organ transplant and teeth can become infected.
– Your wisdom teeth may need extraction before or after they come in. If they are decayed, are causing you pain, or have an infection or a cyst, they may require removal.
Having a tooth extracted can prevent further damage to a tooth as well as prevent an infection. Extraction can also prevent damage to the surrounding teeth. Our oral and maxillofacial surgeon, Dr. Michael Shnayder, at Village Pointe Oral Surgery is pleased to offer tooth extractions as well as wisdom teeth removal in Omaha, Nebraska.
If you are experiencing issues with your teeth that might require extraction, we invite you to give our team a call at 402-317-5657 and let us help you restore your beautiful smile!